Re: [Pkg-xfce-devel] Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 05:34:04PM +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> You mean left vs. right side?

Or even showing them at all (certainly last time I bothered to look at
gnome 3 it seemed to think buttons on windows were mostly to be avoided).

> People who are so afraid of new stuff to learn that they won't even figure
> out how to close a window are not Gnome's (or XFCE's, for that matter)
> target audience.
> If you want that, install KDE and tell it to use one of the
> let's-mimic-Windows/MacOS themes.

xfce is perfectly useable to most people by default.

All I personally expect from a window manager is:

Be able to launch programs (ideally using alt+F2)
Be able to resize the window using the edge of the window
Have a maximize/restore button
Have a minimize button
Have a close button
(These last 3 should also show up when I hit alt+space, because well I
have used that keystroke on many systems for over 20 years to do that).

That's it.  I don't need any more than that.  Gnome 3 failed that out
of the box.

It seems Microsoft is willing to accept they fucked up on windwos
8 and are backing down and restoring what people really want in the
next version.  I wonder if the gnome UI designers will ever be willing
to admit they screwed up and back down.

Adding new idea is fine, but not at the expense of existing features
and behaviour.  You have to let people continue to use things until they
get used to the new things if they ever do.  You can't just force people
to switch the way they work.

--
Len Sorensen