Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 11:10:50AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> The issue here really is "how big is it?" rather than "hos many disks
> [of which kind] does it fit onto?".
>
> "unable to fit on a single image" is not only about use of said storage
> devices for installation, but also an indication more generally of how
> much data needs to be transfered on average for a usable installation.
>
> Quite a few places in the World have poor and/or expensive internet
> access.  Larger default desktop will hurt the most in developing
> countries: non-techies gets discourages to use Debian at all, or when
> using it may apply security fixes less often.

In all cases where I'm stuck with expensive (and/or slow) Internet
I sure as hell pick the netinst image and download the minimum set of
packages I need, rather than a whole CD image on the offhand chance that
I might need everything on it (which is exceedingly unlikely).

If, on the other hand, I download a CD-image somewhere else to burn it
and then bring it home, the image will always be full CD-size (or are
you suggesting that we start distributing half-empty CD-images?).

So, as long as GNOME fits on the first installation CD I see no reason
not to prefer it over XFCE.

Kind regards, David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //