Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 03:39:44PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Of course, this dire situation has come upon us due to the strong
> interleaving of Gnome and Systemd and upower maintainers, uploading
> without making sure not to break the rest of the infrastructure.

In the original email it was mentioned that KDE is also moving in this
direction. GNOME is hardly unique. The upower change was announced by
the maintainer well in advance, that announcement has been
re-distributed by me/GNOME on October 2013:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/distributor-list/2013-October/msg00002.html

Eventually UPower released a new version.

For such a change, 6-9 months of pre-warning should be enough. It would
be way better if projects held back until all affected software changed
(or maybe ensure affected software makes the changes). However, not very
realistic (only so much time plus your adjusting the speed of other
projects to the slowest one).

Aside from above, I thought XFCE basically copied what UPower used to do
in their code, but could be that I'm mistaken on that.

--
Regards,
Olav