Re: Debian on a Dell Latitude E7440

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 12:44:41PM -0400, Steve Litt of Troubleshooters.Com wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 07:37:39 -0400
> ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:
>
> > It's not going in the trash though.  It's still good for a headless
> > linux box.  Long ago I buffed it up with a big HD and 2G of RAM, the
> > cat5 and 802.11bg wifi still work, as do the two USB ports, DVD r/w.
> > I figure it would still be useful as a print- and scanner server...
> > and/or music server (the sound card is still fine), a sandbox
> > machine, and possibly for some other things.  I might spray-paint it,
> > frame it, and hang it on the wall so it looks like art... even as it
> > continues to serve useful purposes.  I'd love it if this old piece of
> > crap didn't make it into the landfill until after I do... maybe even
> > *long* after.
> >
> > Linux will never die.  It just gets perpetually revised.
>
> Another excellent use for it is as an OpenBSD/pf firewall. Much less
> bulky than a desktop, uses less electricity than an average desktop,
> and in its normal operation you ssh into it so no keyboard or monitor
> is needed.

I've also used old laptops to monitor power to initiate shutdowns on systems
connected to “dumb” ups's.

I've gotten no negative responses to my original question, and I found folks
running other distros on the E7440, so we're going with it. If I have any
problems I will pass them along for anyone else that is interested in this.

Thanks all!

Craig

PS Speaking of old, I just came across my Star OS disks for the Xerox 6085 that
I acquired way back in the very early 90s. I never did find a good use for that
thing, other than running up the electricity bill