Re: cdn.debian.net as a project service?

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:22:29AM +0100, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > What would it take to get cdn.debian.net become a service provided by
> > the project? In other words, cdn.debian.org, instead of cdn.debian.net.
[..]
> I'd really like to see support for sane mirror selection in apt itself,
> possibly with archive support (i.e. list of mirrors somewhere on
> ftp.d.o).  That would allow apt to for instance retry on a different
> server if the first one it tried does not work for some reason, and
> maybe even report the problem to a central mirror.

There is a "mirror" method in apt since some time that is a bit of a
combined cdn/README.mirrors approach. Its not much used and probably
has some rough edges but should be a good starting point.

The idea is that you have a sources.list entry like:
deb mirrors://mirrors.debian.org/mirror sid main

and the server returns a list of "good" mirrors (based on something
like geoip) for your location as a simple text list. This is done on
apt-get update. After that it uses a selected miror of that list to do
the actual update and for getting the packages. The list is stored
locally in /var/lib/apt/mirrors so that a re-query is not needed for
each download request. It supports fallback to the next mirror if
there are problems and also reporting back issues (via a external
helper).

One missing feature is that it needs to send along info about the
release/arch its looking for or the returned list needs to be extended
to include this info. But otherwise it should be good and working.

Cheers,
 Michael