Re: RFH: How to compile swf files from source

[Charlie Smotherman]
> "ampache ships a swf file but does not build it from source."
>
> I am curious to know which part of Debian Policy states that this is
> required?  I have search but was unable to find anything.

It is the principle.  If I am an end user, and I want to modify your
.swf file on my Debian system, how do I do it?  What do I edit?  Do I
need to go through a separate step to obtain a usable .swf with my
modifications in it?

Source code is a means to an end.  The end is the ability of the end
user to customize the software.  If you get source code but no way to
build a new .swf file from it, this end is not served.

(Although Debian doesn't strictly subscribe to the FSF's "Four
Freedoms" (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html), I think the
FSF's explanation of "freedom 1" is pretty good.)

Peter