Re: Running video using smplayer

On Tuesday 29 April 2014 06:28:25 Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 April 2014 15:30:23 Divya Subramanian wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to run  .mp4 files using smplayer on a13-olinuxio board. I
> > have installed debian on it. But whenever I run the file on
> > terminal I get this
> >
> > No protocol specified
> > smplayer: cannot connect to X server :0
> >

> > Please help
> >
> >  Regards,
> >
> > Divya Subramanian
>
> are you running smplayer as root?

Divya answerd "yes" to this Q off-list.

Divya:

There is your problem. Run it as a user, provided there IS an X-server
up and well. In that case you better use an X-terminal instead of a
console. I don't know if by "terminal" you mean a console or an X-
terminal.
If there is no X-server than you need to install one.
You are using the VGA output, aren't you?

Further: To maintain a readable flow of Q-A-Q-A please don't top-post
when the reply you get is posted below your post. Also please reply to
list so everybody can follow the discussion. In some cases a personal
reply off-list is appropriate but use it with discretion.

Kind regards and I wish you success
Eike