Re: Multiarch file overlap summary and proposal (was: Summary: dpkg shared / reference counted files and version match)

On 2012-02-14, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> I wonder what's the proper way to handle this. In theory, it would be nice
> to deal with that at the dpkg-dev level but dpkg-dev is not at all
> involved in installing the changelog. And I believe that the bin-nmu
> process just adds a top-level entry to debian/changelog.
>
> So the code should go to dh_installchangelogs... but it doesn't seem to be
> a good idea to put the bin-nmu logic there in particular since we might
> extend it (see #440094).
>
> Somehow my suggestion is then to extend dpkg-parsechangelog to provide
> the required logic to split the changelog in its bin-nmu part and its
> usual content.
>
> dpkg-parsechangelog --split-binnmu <binnmu-part-file> <remaining-part-file>
>
> Then dh_installchangelogs could try to use this (and if it fails, fallback
> to the standard changelog installation).
>
> Does that sound sane? If yes, I can have a look at implementing this.

In theory sbuild could also offload this to dpkg-buildpackage by passing
something like "--binnmu-version 2 --binnmu-changelog 'Rebuild for libfoo
transition'".  The only thing that would be annoying is checking if the old
style or the new style must be used.  (I.e. there must be some sort of feature
query first.)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern