Re: [Long] UEFI support

Hi,

On 2012-01-06, Tanguy Ortolo <tanguy+debian@ortolo.eu> wrote:
> Debian is concerned by this standard, because it has to be supported if
> we want it to be usable on UEFI-based systems. And I think we should be
> *very* concerned by it because, if I recall correctly, UEFI is a
> requirement for the Windows 8 sticker program (“designed for Microsoft
> Windows”), which means that we can expect that many branded PCs and
> motherboards, if not most, will be UEFI-based.

at least currently they still ship a compatibility mode.  With Ubuntu 64bit a
colleague of mine experienced that it did indeed boot by EFI, and installed an
appropriate grub for EFI, but the Lenovo firmware did not look in the right
places.  (It was probably only tested with the Windows bootloader.)

With Ubuntu 32bit everything worked.  Why?  Because it did not contain an
(U)EFI bootloader on the CD, and hence grub-pc was installed.  Compatibility
booting then worked as expected.  (There was also quite a bit of pain involved
in trying to get grub-pc working with amd64.  It seems the BIOS still tried
to do UEFI boots, possibly due to GPT being used by the Ubuntu installer, again
due to EFI startup.)

And note that the BIOS did not have much options, especially no option to turn
off EFI booting.  The machine in question was an Ideapad.  Please include a
boot menu option to force the installer to forget everything it knows about
EFI despite booting successfully from it, so that you can still use BIOS
compatibility (which is to many, IIRC even Linus Torvalds, still the lesser
of the two evils of x86 booting).

Kind regards
Philipp Kern