Re: Installing K3b installs HAL. Should I do it?

On Wed, 11 May 2011 20:45:12 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

(...)
> Back in Ubuntu I used to use K3b in GNOME since I definitely prefer it
> to Brasero. Yesterday I tried to installed K3b in Squeeze and I noticed
> that HAL would be installed with it as a dependency.  Since I was not
> sure on HAL I cancelled the installation until clarification.
>
> I'm not familiar in depth neither with udev nor HAL. But AFAIK HAL was
> deprecated and part of its functionality now is build into udev.
>
> What would be the consequences of HAL being installed on my fresh
> squeeze system, if any?  Would HAL conflict with udev in any way?
> Wouldn't installation of HAL degrade my fresh squeeze install?

"Hal" is indeed listed as a "hard" dependency for K3B in Squeeze:

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/k3b

You will need to install it and don't worry about it, it should not
generate any conflict with other packages (and if yes, open a bug
report :-P).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón