Re: Lenny - xvinfo: No Adaptors present..

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 03:24:32 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:

> I'm in the last stages of migrating my (mostly legacy) stuff to a newer
> laptop and cannot get mplayer to work as well as I had hoped on debian
> lenny.
>
> On my previous system with an old ATI Mach64, I specified the XVideo
> output driver and was getting pretty decent results.
>
> On the new system, with a fairly current nvidia video card, and the
> default ‘nv’ free driver, only the sound appears to work when I stream
> TV news channels or play .flv videos.

You may try with the proprietary "nvidia" driver or test with another
video player.

(...)

> In any event, I ran that same xvinfo command on the old laptop and got
> about two screenfuls of output for my trouble, one line accurately
> naming my video card somewhere near the top, followed by many lines of
> cryptic output.
>
> Is this telling me is that the XVideo extension on the new machine is
> not enabled?

You can check it:

stt008:~# cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep XVideo
(II) Loading extension XVideo
(II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation

> I have among other things a Ubuntu 10.10 system on the same laptop and
> with the proprietary ‘nvidia’ driver, the xvinfo command produces output
> similar to what I am getting on my former machine.
>
> Hoping that this might be a simple case of debian ’lenny’ being too old
> for my hardware and that I only needed to be patient and the problem
> would take care of itself, I proceeded to boot into debian ‘squeeze’,
> but unfortunately, I got the exact same results as on lenny: no video
> with ‘xv’, very choppy sound with ‘sdl’, and xvinfo outputs the same
> three messages as above.

Hum... I get output from two lenny systems running "nv" and "nvidia" so
the problem must be in other place :-?

> I am not really keen on installing the ‘nvidia’ driver on the debian
> systems, but on the other hand, it would be nice to be able to take a
> quick look at the news and such without having to reboot..

The closed source driver for nvidia works quite well under my lenny
systems, I have no complaints (easy to install and very stable). I only
have it installed on systems where I need additional capabilities that
"nv" driver cannot provide.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón