Re: X failed to work after an upgrade

On 09/11/2010 10:52 PM, Bo Jiang wrote:
Hi There
    I am running squeeze and a recent upgrade make my X window hangs on
start up, The screen dies, no log message can be found in the file.
  i am using the default configuration coming from the installation, it
used to work fine. Xserver-xorg version 1.7.7 , Laptop Acer Travelmate
290,
  Does anybody have idea how to trouble shoot this problem ?

At work i have a notebook belonging to the 290 series (Acer TM292LCi) and i have the same problem because it use an i855 chipset. You can find more info in various bug report, but this is the more detailed that i remember:

Can you confirm that your laptop has an i855 chipset?
Please reboot in single user mode, save the lspci output and send it here. Or, if the problem is really the same, you can add this info in the bug report above.

Ciao.

Cesare.