Bug#488277: xserver-xorg-video-radeon: No longer uses correct resolution when a second screen is connected
I think I'm hitting the same bug. Up until a week ago or so, my
external display was working fine at native res of 1680x1050. I would
use the following command to activate it:
xrandr --output VGA-0 --auto
Then I updated to version 6.9.0 and the next time I started X I only
had a resolution of 1280x800 (the native res of my laptop panel) and
no amount of xrandr trickery would fix it. The external display just
cloned the LVDS no matter what. Even when I did something like:
xrandr --output LVDS --off it would shut off the external display as
The laptop is a Compaq Presario R4025CA, with a ATI Radeon XPress
200m. External monitor is a 22" widescreen LCD from Dell.
I dumped my xorg.conf and let dpkg-reconfigure make me a new one. Now
xrandr thinks that its outputting 1680x1050, but it's really only
1280x800. My external monitor reports it is getting 1280x800 input.
However, since xrandr reports 1680x1050, my desktop is that size, and
extends past the physical screen.
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1680 x 1050, maximum 1680 x 1200
VGA-0 connected 1680x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 473mm x 296mm
1680x1050 60.0*+ 60.0 60.0*
1400x1050 74.8 70.0 60.0
1280x1024 75.0 59.9 60.0
1152x864 75.0 74.8
1024x768 75.1 75.0 70.1 60.0
800x600 72.2 75.0 60.3 56.2
640x480 75.0 72.8 75.0 60.0 59.9
LVDS connected 1280x800+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
330mm x 210mm
1280x800 60.1*+ 60.0
S-video disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
I'm going to try and downgrade if I can find a package to see if that fixes it.