Re: Prefer nvidia over nv when available
|--==> David Nusinow writes:
DN> The idea for the future is that all the drivers will export a symbol table
DN> of the PCI ID's they support. The server will scan them for drivers
DN> supporting the required PCI ID. My plan is to have them export an
DN> additional symbol table consisting of driver names that they override. So
DN> nvidia would export an override table with "nv" in it.
Cool, pretty much like kernel some modules then.
DN> The notable thing about this is that it exists entirely outside the
DN> packaging system, so it's entirely up to upstream.
That is a Good Thing :)
DN> In the case of the
DN> various nvidia drivers, if the legacy drivers are updated to include these
DN> symbols then they'll be automatically loaded if they're available. If not,
DN> then the server will load something else (nv if available, or an
DN> arch-specific fallback like vesa if not).
DN> So, if Nvidia decides to update their drivers, they'll get the benefits of
Let's say that, in the best case scenario, that Nvidia updates both
their new and legacy drivers (71xx,96xx). Still the relevant Debian
packages can't be installed at same time (as they are now), so the
proper nvidia driver sporting the proper PCI ID might not be available
on the system. Is there a workaround for this?
For example in the Debian package for a legacy driver one could change
the path of the file of the nvidia xorg driver, from:
so that the package doesn't conflict anymore with the other nvidia
driver packages. Or other tricks like this one.
Would this work/make sense?
DN> The PCI ID symbol table thing already exists upstream in the xserver
DN> master branch, but the code to auto-load the driver based on it doesn't
DN> exist yet, but that's my goal for next week. In the worst-case scenario,
DN> Nvidia won't add the necessary symbols and users will just have to edit
DN> their xorg.confs the same way they did in the past.
In the worst case scenario of Nvidia not updating their drivers (or
updating only the new one and not the legacy ones), what could be done
to avoid the user to edit directly the xorg.conf file?