Re: Source package naming

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 08:45:21PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please CC me -- I am not subscribed.
>
> I am in the process of packaging the X driver for the IVTV cards[0] and
> I'm wondering about the correct source package name. It seems that the
> upstream source is named xf86-video-FOO[1] and that is repacked for
> Debian as xserver-xorg-video-FOO[2].
>
> Is there a particular reason for this? I've tried searching the debian-x
> archives but I can't see it.

As Daniel says, to provide a clear lineage. The 'xf86' at this point refers
to the DDX, not the server itself. This naming scheme is far more clear to
the average user who doesn't know or care what a DDX is.

> I have xf86-video-ivtvdev_0.10.6.orig.tar.gz and I'm wondering if I
> should repack/rename it before upload (well, before searching for a
> sponsor ;-)).

Don't bother repacking it. Just rename it. I can sponsor the driver if
you're interested. If you want to bring the package under the
maintainership of the XSF with you as the primary uploader[1], you're more
than welcome to do so. Just let us know.

> In any case the binary package will be xserver-xorg-video-ivtv as you
> would expect.

Please do.

 - David Nusinow

[1] See http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/Contrib for how we're
structuring maintainance within the team. You'd be de-facto maintainer,
though the XSF would be maintainer in name and we'd all help you out as
need be. If you're not in NM yet, joining the team is a very good
opportunity for learning how Debia works.