Re: wacom driver

El jueves, 5 de enero de 2006 00:25, David Nusinow escribió:
> Hi all,
>    I'm thinking that we should drop
> general/000_stolen_from_linuxwacom_wacom_driver.diff all together. I've
> looked at the new upstream release (0.7.2) and it's vastly different than
> what we're currently shipping. The driver is currently at a point where it
> deserves its own package, like the synaptics driver. The FTBFS's on mips
> and mipsel are due to symbol issues with this driver and we're getting bug
> reports about it causing serious issues for this reason. I think my hack
> job on updating it to 6.8 failed miserably. So rather than write the
> Imakefile necessary to build 0.7.2 in-tree, I'd rather remove it and
> resolve the bugs by using upstream's build system. We're going to be
> shipping the driver externally for 7.0 anyway, so this will mainly be a
> head-start on that.

	Hello.

	I think that I will take this baby with me.

>    The major issues are that people who need this driver may not be
> satisfied with the one that comes with Xorg. We may have to hack together a
> package for them. Another major issue is that the driver appears to require
> the Xorg sources to build, which means that the driver package would have
> to temporarily patch the necessary sources in to its tree (how problematic
> this is, I don't know). If someone actually owns one of these touchpads and

	Well, it was in the same state in the past. I was certainly related to
Wacom's a couple of years ago and I investigated a bit the driver status. In
fact, I started to look how to integrate XFree86 SDK in the archive, as the
wacom driver will benefit from having up-to-date headers and the like. But I
never took this really seriously. I can try the "hack" that I thought of,
simply copying periodically several headers in the package. If I would use
XSF SVN as repository, an external relationship for the required files will
be wonderful, I think, as the upgrade would be automatic.

> would like to take responsibility for this driver, I'd love to give it
> away. I can't personally handle it, lacking the hardware, but I'd be happy
> to facilitate anyone.
>
>    Thoughts?

	As I said, I will try to get something in a reasonable state next week, but I
cannot promise anything. Given the level of enthusiasm, I do not think that
anyone has much interest in it, but anyway, if you are going to touch it,
please send me a note before.

	Best regards,

		Ender.
--