Re: 6.8 Freeze and 6.9

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 12:51:27AM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> David Nusinow wrote:
> >
> > I haven't had time to look at 7.0 yet, although I've talked to Daniel about
> > it a little bit. I want to get to work on it as soon as 6.9 has entered
> > basic maintainance mode. That's a little ways off, so we don't have to
> > think about it yet, but we need to start heading that way as soon as
> > possible. The modular packages are the forseeable future, so our time is
> > much better spent polishing those than the 6.8/6.9 series.
> >

> Do you anticipate that the whole X StrikeForce will collectively
> maintain all the modular packages, or might they be split off to be
> maintained separately by interested individuals? My guess is the
> team-work is working well now, and will continue to work well with the
> modularised packages.

That's the plan. We'll team maintain the whole thing under the XSF
umbrella. We'll see how much actual individual ownership shows up. So far,
it's been happening in small amounts.

> Once Xprint gets modularised (meaning it will be part of the
> xserver-xorg module), I suspect it will be the best thing to retire my
> separate Xprint source, which will have become outdated by then, and
> join forces to Play Nicely with the xserver-xorg package maintainer,
> producing xprint as well as xserver-xorg binary packages from it (just
> as xdmx, xvfb, xnest, etc are already).

That'd be very nice. We'll have to coordinate when the time comes. I
specifically volunteered to maintain the xserver a while ago, and I'd still
like to do so.

 - David Nusinow