On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 10:43:05PM -0400, David Nusinow wrote: > On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 06:20:58PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote: > > * Stick with dbs for now so that changing build systems doesn't slow the > > progress of xorg-x11 into experimental; > > Right. There's a step in here that's missing. I'd like to move this package > to unstable when I feel like the archive is basically ready for it. The > library changes apparently broke a lot of things for Ubuntu and the patches > are waiting on all the X client apps and just need to be applied. We may > want to coordinate this in some way with other teams and maintainers, since > the sooner we get the transition out of the way, the better. I'd rather not > move these packages or any other to unstable until we're sure it's not > going to break half the archive though. To clarify: I deliberately broke everything Build-Depending on xlibs-static-*. The reasons are twofold: one, everything with PIC patches for the misguided xlibs-static-pic needed to be transitioned; two, it was good to get a clean cut, and I could engineer that within my particular situation anyway. While we've dug out most of the xlibs-static-* stuff now, I'm not sure I can entirely recommend it for sid just yet. The /usr/X11R6 -> /usr transition is definitely not sid-ready yet. But we've had no problems with the parts I've already transitioned to the modular tree, excluding a couple of small catch-22s when building the thing. > > * Migrate to quilt and traditional .orig.tar.gz/.diff.gz afterwards. This > > includes having all patches applied to trunk/xc in SVN. For the reasons > > why this is good, see my previous message. > > This sounds great to me. The modularization effort seems to be progressing, > but if we can move to quilt rapidly then we'll be all the better for it, > since that experience can be applied to the modular tree packaging when > it's ready. Josh and I are going back and forth on various issues, and our packages are rapidly converging. I still need to find a weekend to spend some spare time on the server upstream before I can modularise that. > > Since I'm the one who seems to care the most about this, I propose to do > > the build/patch system retooling on a branch after we've uploaded xorg-x11 > > -0pre1v1 to experimental. > > > > Anyone wanna help? :) > > I'm game. My first priority is definitely getting packages in to > experimental and coordinating all the library fixes for X client apps. > Since the latter can hopefully happen without much involvement from the > XSF, we can work on getting the next generation packages ready, be they the > modular or monolithic tree. Any library fixes in particular? Cheers, Daniel : Move headers (let's say, x11proto-input-dev) into separate package. Remove same from xorg package, make it B-D on the above. Remove same from libxi-dev package, make it Depend on x11proto-input-dev. Make x11proto-input-dev conflict with libxi-dev, << the version of xorg you are about to upload. Note that in order to build xorg, you need to have x11proto-input-dev installed, and this conflicts with all versions of libxi-dev that are in the archive. Engineer a situation in which one of your other B-Ds depends on libxi-dev. ... PROFIT!!
Description: Digital signature