Re: xprt-xprintorg taking over xprt: now or later?

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 11:03 +0300, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:

> > On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 11:09:31AM +1100, Drew Parsons wrote:
> >> I guess we can do it now.  xprt (xfree86) does not work and Fabio was
> >> already prepared to remove it now before sarge.
> >
> > Of course, neither does xprt-xprintorg, but that's a minor quibble. :)
> > Does *anything* besides Mozilla care about whether or not it exists?  From
> > a user's perspective, I can't imagine that it's at all important to
> > replace the one with the other for Sarge.
> >
> > Checking reverse depends... no, nothing other than Mozilla and friends
> > deps
> > on it, and they don't even dep on it, they only recommend it.  So who
> > cares, really?
>
> Tried ever to print non iso8859-1 characters from mozilla?
> It isn't impossible without xprt, but it is really hacky ...

Sorry, jumping into the thread now.

Xprint upstream have moved over to X.Org, and are now using the main
xorg tree as their development base.  If Debian moves to X.Org, it needs
to be getting rid of xprt-xprintorg, not the other way around.

Ideally, we could get rid of both, but such is life.