Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 09:02:50AM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> * What kinds of X packages would you like to see in the future?

Split up packages similiar to how XFree in Debian is currently.

> * Should we regard X.Org or FreeDesktop.Org as our upstream source?

From what I have read using FreeDesktop.Org xlibs and xserver would be
the best. Supposedly the xserver is more than just kdrive and includes
both the kdrive and the equivalent of the X.Org driver set. Daniel Stone
would probably be able to explain the differences a lot better.

> * Should we go our own way starting from the "sanitized" XFree86 CVS
>   snapshot we've prepared?

I don't see much point in doing this again since other people have
already done this in the past, right? And if we don't use one of the two
main X trees that would end up putting a lot more work on XSF's
shoulders to track patches.

> * Should we ensure that multiple implementations of the X Window System
>   are packaged, or standardize on just one?

We could go with multiple implementations of the xserver and just use
the FreeDesktop.Org xlibs if wanted, that should cut down on a lot of
the work since you would only be duplicating the xserver. However, if
FreeDesktop.Org's xserver really does include the equivalent of the
X.Org xserver there may be little point in having multiple xservers in
the archive.

> * If we standardize on just one, which one should it be?

Probably FreeDesktop.Org's xlibs and their xserver depending on what it
really includes.

Chris