Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Friday 18 Jun 2004 08:02, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>         As you might have seen from the messages on
> debian-devel-changes, 4.3.0.dfsg.1-5 has been accepted into unstable.

Seen it, downloaded it and installed it. Works like  a charm. Many
thanks! :)

[snip]

> We all know by now that due to several licensing-related issues we
> cannot keep using XFree86 as our primary upstream source for an X Window
> System distribution [3]. But we need a clear plan before we can add a
> FAQ entry describing our plans. Some XSF memebers have already expressed
> their opinion on what the future of X in Debian should be.
>
> Our questions to the community are:
>
> * What kinds of X packages would you like to see in the future?

As a user and not a developer, I do not know how much work there would be
involved in a shift to the X.org release, but X.org seems to have a decent
road-map, good ideas and above all, an active team working on things. What
I am trying to say is that X.org seems from a users perspective to be the
good route to take.

> * Should we regard X.Org or FreeDesktop.Org as our upstream source?

As per above, I would say yes.

> * Should we go our own way starting from the "sanitized" XFree86 CVS
>   snapshot we've prepared?

Would this give the developers and the users added benefits above and
beyond what X.org gives?

> * Should we ensure that multiple implementations of the X Window System
>   are packaged, or standardize on just one?

Looking to the developers work-loads, would maintaining three different
sets of packages (X.org, inhouse and XFree86) be a strain on resources and
people? From a users perspective, if the packages are available, and risk
of inadvertently messing up your system is limited, I am sure that having
a choice of X server is a good one.

Personally, if X.org was available now, I would switch from XFree86
immediately. I have even been toying with the idea of trying to build the
X.org server myself but do not know how many things that would break in
the process, that is what is holding me back.

> * If we standardize on just one, which one should it be?

X.org

> We will do our best to choose a course that reflects the wishes and
> needs of the Debian community.  Your feedback is a great first step, but
> we can always use more help.  If you'd like to influence the direction
> of Debian X packaging, the best thing to do is to join the maintenance
> team. Please subscribe to debian-x, and if it's not obvious to you what
> you can do to help, just ask.

I'll go subscribe now. :)

Rgds,

- --
Anders Karlsson <anders@trudheim.com>
Trudheim Technology Ltd. - Linux System Administrator