Re: X.org

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 10:27:52PM -0700, William Ballard wrote:
> Is Debian going to switch to X.org?
>
> This Slashdot article says Slackware is:
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/05/31/2317246&mode=nested&tid=104&tid=106&tid=185&tid=189
>
> Ananamous Coward writes "Some big distros had already dumped XFree86 for
> X.org for license reasons, but now Slackware, one of the most classical
> and stable ones, has announced in its changelog for slackware-current
> that they are switching to X.org, mostly for compatibility reasons.
> Looks like X.org is now the future of X for Linux ..."
>
> If this has been discussed here, I totally missed it.

Daniel Stone has made several pronouncements to this list on the
subject[1][2][3][4][5].

Whether his statements should be taken as binding upon all Debian
Developers, or reflective of the consensus of this mailing list, are
questions I must leave to the reader to resolve.

[1] Message-ID: <20040410102619.GK9974@fooishbar.org>
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2004/04/msg00298.html
[2] Message-ID: <20040414022329.GB27591@fooishbar.org>
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2004/04/msg00440.html
[3] Message-ID: <20040415041218.GJ10594@fooishbar.org>
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2004/04/msg00488.html
[4] Message-ID: <20040517025240.GX17143@fooishbar.org>
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2004/05/msg00366.html
[5] Message-ID: <20040519172547.GC520@fooishbar.org>
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2004/05/msg00431.html

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Somebody once asked me if I thought
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    sex was dirty.  I said, "It is if