Re: X Strike Force: let's work on xfree86/branches/4.3.0/sid

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 06:49:19PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> 1) Release 4.2.1-7 (it was on, then it was off, now it's on again).  See
> http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/changelog?rev=44&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
> for why.  I think I can handle this, and LaMont Jones will thank me.  :)
> (Even if everyone else will curse my name for it not being 4.3.0-1.  :-P)

Is there anything else that needs to be done in trunk/ to get it out as
a 4.2.1-7? As it has to go out before 4.3.0, I don't see why it
shouldn't take priority, if it needs work.

> 2) The xlibs bustup.  Currently I envision:
> 	* One shared lib, -dev, and -dbg package for every shared
> 	  library except those with a different upstream (fontconfig,
> 	  xft, xrender, xcursor).
> 	* xlibs-dev continues to live on as a dumping ground for
> 	  hated old static-only libraries.

Why not a new xlibs-static package, or such, leaving xlibs-dev being no
more than a metapackage?

> 	* xlibs-pic can continue to live on as a counterpart to
> 	  xlibs-dev, except these static libraries will contain
> 	  policy-violating PIC symbols.  I disagree with upstream's
> 	  solution to the static/PIC problem and I think we should go
> 	  ahead with Matthieu Herrb's solution from patch #046.

debian/patches/046_piclib_support.diff, from 4.2.1? If that's what
you've decided, that's fine - you know a great deal more about PIC than
I (or Jack Horwarth ;) do.

> The binaries are the toughest part.  The prospect of libx11-6-bin,
> libsm6-bin, libxt6-bin, etc., makes me vomit.  At the same time people
> screech bloody murder about GL dependencies in xbase-clients when all
> they want is xauth.  The Athena clients can easily be split off.  Any
> other proposals?  I'm still mulling over the thought of an xauth-static
> package.  xauth links against 3 X libraries: libXmuu.so.1, libXext.so.6,
> and libX11.so.6.  If we have libx11-6-bin, libxext6-bin, and
> libxmuu6-bin packages people will always guess wrong.

Well, we could make a 'core' package, with only a very small amount of
binaries (xauth, xhost, that sort of thing), and then put everything
else in the -bin package; either that, or have
libx11-6-bin/libxext6-bin/libxmuu6-bin Provides: xauth.

> Hmm, I'm forgetting other things for my enumerated list at present.
> Well, that's what discussion threads are for.

3) Bug porters.

Thanks!
:) d

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne