Re: X bi-monthly snapshot packages.

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 12:06:02AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 03:37:52PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 11:29:53PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > I want to know exactly what it changes and test it for myself.
> >
> > I am currently testing this, and will send you my observation and some
> > build instruction, or maybe even a patch or something. As i understood
> > it upto now, you have to have made make World, and the install.sdk
> > target just installs a set of file or something such, but then maybe
> > something more subtle is done, i don't really know, that is why i am
> > checking.
>
> No, "for myself". I'm not satisfied with something I haven't tested, but
> easily could have, especially such a minor change like this.

Well, i understand this, but if i test it first, and then give you
instructions on what is exactly needed and how to do it, then you can
test it "for yourself" quicker, don't you ?

> > > So the benefit of not waiting would be ... ?
> >
> > So you are saying to me that you will be doing a 4.3.0-1 release nextly ?
> > Or that Branden will do ?
>
> Branden will be doing the 4.3.0-1 release.

:))))

Greatest news i have heard since a long time.

> > And that this change would be considered for a 4.3.0-2 package ?
>
> Possibly, depends how much time Branden/I have to try it.

Ok, that would be great.

> > If that is so, ok with me, i could even do a -sdk enabled package for
> > myself, if i get enough place on my disk, and put the resulting driver
> > package in an unofficial repository or something such.
>
> If you like, yes. As Branden said, we don't possess any magical keys to
> XFree86 packaging. Anyone's welcome to make packages.

Or i could wait. I think an official -driver package would be of great
use, not especially today, but in the future, and especially after sarge
is released, since users would only need to install this packages, and
not a full X package.

Friendly,

Sven Luther