Re: Problems running XFree86 4.2.1 (unstable) on a Motorola Powerstack

On Tuesday 04 February 2003 17:03, Branden Robinson wrote:

> Upstream doesn't build this module for Linux/PowerPC by default.  I
> suppose I could turn it on, but given your other bad experiences I don't
> feel at all confident that it would work.

Do accelerated drivers work on other ppc computers at all? If so, it might be
worth a try.

> SuSE patches the hell out of their XFree86 (to be fair, all the major
> distributions do).  That could have something to do with it.

I got the config file from a suse user and noticed that suse cheated: They
simply used the "fbdev" driver. I did not know about this driver (always
thought you should use "vga" with the UseFBDev switch).

Using the "fbdev" driver the powerstack no longer crashes hard when starting
X. The framebuffer device is queried for its capabilities, and X chooses the
highest possible resolution. But with the Ati Mach64 as well as the GLD5446
the outout is garbled, and stopping X leaves the framebuffer console
unusable. No problems show up in the log files.

The Matrox Millenium still crashes the system hard even when used with the
"fbdev" driver.

> I suggest trying to find someone on the debian-powerpc mailing list with
> some experience with your model of machine.  We can then harass Michel
> Dänzer for assistance with the driver issues.  ;-)

Will do so.