xserver and displaced mouse

I dunno if this is the best list for this but.... (/me wonders how many
times that's been said)

After upgrading my kernel to 2.4.19, my mouse pointer hasn't lined up to
where I actually click. About 2cm to the left. I didn't notice this
straight off as I have been doing a lot of stuff in xterm's rather than
anything that actually needs me to click on a specific area. I been
trawling through the internet, but I can't find anything that's remotely
close to my problem, and none of my guru's have heard of this problem.

I'm using xserver-xfree86 from unstable as testing and stable drivers
are no good. As I can't switch between virtual consoles and back to X
without X crashing. I'm using the new VIA Eden chipset which has a
Trident intergrated video interface. The rest of my system is sarge, but
my problem seems to be unaffected by which distribution I'm using. The
only factor that seems to effect this is the kernel, perhaps binutils or
libc6. I don't know.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dan