Re: ATI Radeon 7500 QW; XFree86 4.2.1 (sid)

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 09:39:59AM -0500, Sudhindra Herle wrote:

> When I ran 'glxgears' I seem to get between 500-2000fps. However, the CPU is
> maxed out at 100% -- this on an Athlon XP1700. Also, if I move any window on
> the desktop, the gears seem to stutter and slow down. This leads me to
> believe that 3D support is done in software. Am I correct?

I don't think you'd reach even 100fps on software. Try it: simply comment
out (put a '#' infront of) the 'Load "dri"' line in your
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

One thing, however, to note: 2D with the DRI off is faster on the radeon
than 2D with the DRI working, so if you use 2D a lot more than 3D, you might
want to consider having the default layout bring up a non-dri-enabled X.

> If there is sufficient interest, I can post my Xf86config-4 file to the list
> (I had to change it _very_ little to get it working.)

exactly what did you have to change? I found it worked fine (i.e. I could
get dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 to build a setup that left dri
working)

--
John Lenton (john@vialibre.org.ar) -- Random fortune:
Montana: