Potato, X 4.0.2 backport and MGA

Greetings,

I have turned to this list in mild desparation (having read Charl P. Botha's
READ.THIS the requisite N+1 times :-)

I have a Debian-unstable PII-350 box quite happily running 4.0.2 and Linux
2.4.0 with a Matrox G400 video card on which DRI works great. glxinfo tells
me all the right things as far as I can tell. However, on a machine with
near-identical hardware, running potato with the 4.0.2 backport, same kernel
etc. I am unable to get the 3D going. The kernel is the same, modutils is
the same (recompiled from source) and the XF86Config file is identical. The
XFree86.0.log is almost exactly the same on both machines, on the potato box
it claims to have successfully loaded all the required modules OK. The mga
module is loaded, agpgart is happy, /proc/dri exists and is populated,
/dev/dri exists and appears happy. But glxinfo tells me that direct
rendering is not enabled and (the standard test-app :-) Q3A runs at about 1
fps!! The same X-related packages (including xlibmesa3) are installed on
both machines.

So, question is, has anyone else had this problem with the backport, am I
doing something incredibly stupid? If I can't get it going I'll probably
run unstable on this box, but on the whole I'd rather not :-)

Thanks for any light shed... and many thanks to Charl Botha for providing
this in the first place.

- Daniel

*      Daniel Franklin - Postgraduate student in Electrical Engineering
*      University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia  *  d.franklin@ieee.org