Re: ctrl-alt-F11

On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 01:11:00AM +0100, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> Hi,
> On my i386 box I run two X servers, one on vt9 (24-bit) and one on vt10
> (16-bit). From time to time I press the wrong function key when changeing
> servers, like ctrl-alt-F11. ctrl-alt-F11 immediately causes the machine to
> completely lockup, clocks stop, can't kill the X server, even the MagicSysRQ
> key does not work anymore, can not log in via the network. Is this exspected
> behaviour or did I manage to configure something wrong?

Yuck.  Sounds very nasty indeed.

This could be a kernel bug, or it could be the X server freaking out and
trashing the bus.

All I can suggest is mouting you /var parition with the "sync" flag,
reproducing this problem, and then seeing if the X server issued a death
scream of some sort to the logfile.

Otherwise I suggest you take this inquiry to xpert@xfree86.org; it's a bit
beyond me.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |   Somewhere, there is a .sig so funny that
Debian GNU/Linux                |   reading it will cause an aneurysm.  This