Re: Little confused over policy WRT /usr/X11R6/bin

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 12:00:15AM -0600, Gordon Sadler wrote:
> The best I was able to answer this question myself via searching the
> archives was bug# 53762 proposed by Branden Robinson, debian-x
> maintainer.
>
> Should packages that contain binaries that run under the X-window
> system install those binaries into /usr/X11R6/bin?
>
> policy 3.2.1.0 states:
>
> _Packages using the X Window System should abide by the FHS standard
> whenever possible_; they should install binaries, libraries, manual
> pages, and other files in FHS-mandated locations wherever possible.
> This means that files must not be installed into `/usr/X11R6/bin/',
> `/usr/X11R6/lib/', or `/usr/X11R6/man/' unless this is necessary for
> the package to operate properly.
>
> The last phrase, 'unless this is necessary...' seems to be operative.
> Other than scouring the source for hard coded paths, is there a way to
> tell if a package 'needs' to be in /usr/X11R6/... ?

Packages that use imake can just carry on and put stuff in /usr/X11R6,
since imake is ultimately under my control.  If there is a flag day when we
move to /usr, then a simple recompile against the appropriate version of
xlibs-dev will automatically migrate imake-based packages to the new paths.

I expect everything else to get out of there.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |      If you make people think they're
Debian GNU/Linux                |      thinking, they'll love you;