Re: Utah GLX

[note: I've cut nothing from the body of Terry's original email, only
interspersed my comments in his email.]

* Terry 'Mongoose' Hendrix II <darkskye@mindspring.com> [001212 00:52]:
> Seth Arnold wrote:
>

> > Please reconsider this statement. Who forces you to do anything? Does
> > Branden force you out of bed in the morning? Does Branden force you to
> > use his 3.3.x packages? Does Branden force you to use his 4.0 packages?
> > Does Branden force you to do *anything*?
>
> So I shouldn't trust packages from debian X team?  I should install
> everything from source, and I should read every line of code.  I put
> *trust in them.  I didn't think I would have to check for a widget
> install ( gtk ) to render my new agp card unusable for the next few days.

Ok. I think I get where this is headed. Instead of running ``apt-get
upgrade'', run ``apt-get -u upgrade''. It will show you what will be
upgraded. It sounds as if you knew many months ago that 4.0.x would
break support for your currently installed DRI, and it sounds as if you
were taken completely off-guard by its installation when you tried to
install a new widget set.

Using -u with apt would prevent this from happening. (I don't know why
it isn't the default, but hey, I don't mind the extra three characters.
:)

> I expressed concern about cutting out utah users before, and until DRI
> matures I can't see how you can defend the decision to weed it out.

The thing is, no one is weeding anything out. Users can still run 3.3.x.

> cheers,
> Terry

Cheers :)

--
``Oh Lord; Ooh you are so big; So absolutely huge; Gosh we're all
really impressed down here, I can tell you.''