Re: Tracking XFree86 CVS on a Potato system

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 11:37:58AM -0800, Seth Arnold wrote:
> * Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@xfree86.org> [001211 10:30]:
> > First of all, I'd like to know whether building Branden's packages on
> > a Potato system yields a usable version of XFree86.
>
> You can indeed build Branden's packages for potato, but Charl P. Botha
> has done this already! I submitted the URL he gave for this a while ago
> to google, so it should be able to find him and his packages without
> effort. (It would also be in the archives, but that takes more effort to
> search than google. :)

The potato xfree86 4.0.1 packages are apt-able with the following lines:
deb http://people.debian.org/%7Ecpbotha/ xf401_potato/i386/
deb http://people.debian.org/%7Ecpbotha/ xf401_potato/all/

> Of course, I don't know if he tracks Branden as quickly as Branden
> tracks CVS -- so, Charl also wrote a quick description on building the
> 4.0.1 source packages Branden makes on potato.

I don't track him that quickly... on average I build every 2nd or 3d release
that he makes.  I'm planning a potato build of 4.0.1-11 as soon as that's in
woody for a day or two.  The ones that are apt-able at the moment are -8,
and I find them rock-solid on my hardware.  You can also find the howto on
this at http://cpbotha.net/building_woody_xfree86_4.0.1_debs_on_potato.HOWTO

--
charl p. botha      | computer graphics and cad/cam
http://cpbotha.net/ | http://www.cg.its.tudelft.nl/