Prepackaged indirected X terminal

I know how to have xdm use the indirect and chooser features
to work with external X terminals and determine where they go.
Works great, but it leaves me with a simple question ...

Is there a clean way to specify that the locally managed
display should be indirected (like a terminal would be)
for the option of attaching it elsewhere instead of locally ?
I can do it by disabling it in xdm and putting a line in the
inittab, but the authentication stuff is a pain and I'm
assuming there must be a better way of setting it all up.

Separately to that, the X traffic of a remoted display
is not normally encrypted.  Sometimes that is important.
Is there a clean way to have that local X display make its
connection to the remote machine using (for example) ssh -X ?
I know how to do it manually, with some extra scripting,
but I was hoping that there was something packaged for this.

Alex.