Re: XFree86 Version 4.0.1e

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 01:38:16PM +0100, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> dexter does not offer a 1280x1024 mode, only 1200x960. 1280x1024 seems to be
> a standard vesa mode, could it be added to the list?

No, because its aspect ratio is wrong.  If you want it, it is a 5-second
edit to XF86Config-4.  I hate 1280x1024 with a passion.

> I had edit the keyboard rules by hand, pc105, de, it is planed to add this
> to dexter? dconfig or something asked many times about my keyboard layout,
> maybe dexter could make use of this (or ask too)?

After I've "ported" dexter to debconf, I'll look into this.

> I use xdm and like to have multiple local X displays. The example says:
> :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 vt9 -bpp 24
> :1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 vt10 -bpp 16
> but this does not work anymore:
>
> /var/log/xdm.log:
> The -bpp option is no longer supported.
>         Use -depth to set the color depth

This is a plain old upstream change.  man XF86Config for more info.

> PS which package should I try to immediately see the speed increase in X?
> I am using ATI Mach64 (RagePro) cards.

xserver-xfree86 supports ATI cards, but I don't know if Rage Pro support
is any faster than 3.3.6.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |   When I die I want to go peacefully in
Debian GNU/Linux                |   my sleep like my ol' Grand Dad...not