Re: VGA Textmode Restore Broken [Was: Re: Problems with xfree86 4.0.1d - Compac Armada 1500c (CT69000+DSTN)]

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 10:19:09PM -0000, Paul Keenan wrote:
> I get the dim grey/green console effect (framebuffer
> console) and also some intermittent font corruption
> problems in most X programs.

I haven't seen any font corruption, only severe dimming.

> I'm using ThinkPad 600X which has the NeoMagic
> MagicMedia256ZX [nm2360 chip] using the 'neomagic'
> driver.

I'm using a Diamond Viper V770 (TNT2) with nv driver.  This is on
the Hurd.  I haven't try 4.x on Linux yet since I need that system for
"real" work :-).

> Both problems went away when I changed the colour depth
> from 24bpp to 16bpp.
>
> Might be worth a try ?

I'm only using 16bpp.  I can't remember if I tried any other depth or not.
I'll give it a shot next time I look at it (may be a few days).

> Regards,
> Paul

Thanks for the suggestion,
Steve