Re: X suddenly exits. Segv???

karlheg@bittersweet.inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom) writes:

> Package: xserver-xfree86
> Version: 4.0.1-0phase2v7
>
>  Twice I've had X suddenly exit on me.  Both times, iirc, it was when
>  I pushed the "X" button to close a Mozilla frame via the WM.  I don't
>  know if it's a segv or what; it just suddenly snicks out, then `gdm'
>  restarts.  Once it was this version, another time before it was the
>  previous (?) phase 2 binary.
>
>  Has this happened to anyone else?

I haven't seen this recently. One thing you may want to do to check,
if you haven't yet, is to put something other than the window manager
as the last entry in the xsession/xinitrc, so it'll be obvious whether
the thing dying is the window manager or the X server itself. Also, is
there any information in /var/log/XFree86.log?

				- M

--
Mark "Monty" Montague | monty@gg.caltech.edu  | I don't do Windows(tm)
I'm dubious about any company whose assets can be destroyed by rm -rf