Re: Missing information on pages below http://packages.debian.org

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 2:44 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Linux encourages the user to know what goes on "under the hood". Several
> times on debian-user@lists.debian.org I've been pointed to pages under this
> hierarchy. The results have been uniformly unsatisfying.

The pages you are pointing at are simply a copy of the information
available in the packages themselves, so your issue is with the
descriptions provided by these packages. To have them fixed in a
future release, you will need to write new descriptions and file bugs
against the packages.

http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

If you are interested in helping review all the Debian package
descriptions, please take a look at this project:

http://wiki.debian.org/I18n/SmithReviewProject

> I think this could be remedied in part by a link to a more verbose
> description of the package. A link to the developer's home page my be
> satisfactory as is done for http://packages.debian.org/stable/utils/logtool.
> I think more generally a link to the manpage at http://manpages.debian.net/
> should be a minimal standard. In the first example I found the developer's
> page to whet my interest but not answer all my questions. In the second it
> was going to the "see also" links of the manpage was the most valuable.

I've explained how to get more verbose descriptions above.

The lack of a homepage is similar to descriptions, please find the
correct Homepage and submit a wishlist bug asking for it to be added
to the package.

Linking to manual pages from the packages site is something we want to
do eventually but no-one has found the time and motivation to do it
yet. If you or anyone you know has skills with CSS, JavaScript and the
Perl programming language, you might want to get involved and make
that happen.

bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise