Re: CVS and WWW sprint.

Le Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:09:36AM +0100, Gerfried Fuchs a écrit :
> * Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> [2011-01-24 05:52:30 CET]:
>
> > None of this is a problem, but it working with CVS is not a pleasure,
> > so at least for me I tend to postpone work on the Debian website.
>
>  Feel free to send in patches in that case.

Hi Gerfried,

I was about to answer you that once we went to the pain of preparing a change,
committing is is easy, but interstingly today I ran into a problem.

In webwml/english/devel/debian-med/News/2011/20110124.wml, I used the wrong
encoding, and wanted to correct it. For this, I did recode UTF-8..ISO-8859-15
20110124.wml, and tried to commit it with ‘cvs commit’, but CVS did not
recognise the change, and was exiting with no message, doing nothing.

I was about to send you the file and ask you to kindly commit it, but after
investigating further and wasting my time with a couple of cvs log and cvs diff
commands, that need SSH connection to Alioth (load average: 26.00, 24.66,
17.64), I finally figured out that I need to touch 20110124.wml for the changes
to be recognised. Yes I learned a CVS trick, but this is useless knowledge for
me. I do not use CVS anywhere else since 2004. And other VCSes I use do not
suffer from that blindness to changes.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy