Re: Suggestion - Better targeting of the audience at front page

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:04:30AM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> Having mentioned once again the announcement about the alternative
> website design, aiming, as far as I can see, more of uniform appearance,
> I would like to suggest a little change to the content of front page for
> the current or any alternative design.

Thanks for your interest in the website.

> ATM we have "Debian GNU/Linux provides more than a pure OS: it comes
> with over 25000 packages, precompiled software bundled up in a nice
> format for easy installation on your machine." which, upon click on
[..]
> So, why not to make the face page, more visitor-attractive in terms of
> the content? The simplest one could be changing that sentence to
> something like
>
>  Debian GNU/Linux provides more than a pure OS: it comes with thousands
>  of ready to be installed packages[LINK].  Debian is as a great OS for
>  Juniors [Debian-Junior] as for the scientists [Debian-Science].
>  Debian has being used in Medicine [Debian-Med] and to help
>  people with disabilities [Accessibility].  But there is even more of
>  Debian -- see other "blends" [Blends], "Ports" [Ports page], and
>  packages [LINK].

That sounds good.

> Most of the blends have icons, which could be used to spice up the wide
> Debian logo at http://www.deb.at/ and then used with image map to direct
> to a particular blend.

Or a little icon before the link to the given blend.
If you want to show us what you have in mind, you may patch the homepage
and us the result.

Best regards.

--
Simon Paillard