Re: oval - still active?

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 11:02:56AM +0100, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
>  While the new year changed there appeared webwml build errors because
> of the missing oval definitions for the new year (because of no new DSA
> yet). While digging around I found that the 2009 oval file is zero bytes
> long <http://www.debian.org/security/oval/> and that the other files
> have quite interesting description fields: "What information can i put
> there?"

Hi,

It took me some time <grin> but I finally debugged what caused the XML files
to be improperly generated. It looks like this was due to a bug in the
python generator code involving xml.dom.ext, utf8 encoding issues and the
fact that the releases numbers are hardcoded in the script.

I have fixed all these issues and it seems to generate XML "fine" although
the XML files are not based on the latest OVAL schema, which has changed
quite a lot. Also, the description of the advisories has to be fixed
(i.e. remove the "What information can i put there?" with something more
meaningful :-)

Since the OVAL generation was not working we were not listed in the
"Products" that support OVAL here:
http://oval.mitre.org/adoption/productlist.html

I'm CCing the OVAL maintainers mailing list to keep Pavel in the loop too.

Regards

Javier