Re: Wiki and miroVIDEO DC10

Hi Nikolay,

On Sat, 2009-06-13 at 12:04 +0400, Nikolay Shaplov wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 22:18:19 +0200
> Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> wrote:
>
> > Try to write your page so it's "generic". If my quick search is
> > correct, that card is supported by the module zr36067, which also
> > supports a few other cards
> > ( http://lxr.linux.no/linux/Documentation/video4linux/Zoran )
> > I would suggest naming your page "zr36067".
>
> I have two doubts:
> 1. As a common user, I would never search wiki by module name, just by
> device brand name. For example the iwlagn page can't be found by "Intel
> WiFi Link 5100", when searching in titles. And it is the thing user
> would most likely do.

You are correct. But most people find web page using google anyway. The
others should click on "Text" search, as suggest by moinmoin when it
returns no hit.

The other names have other drawbacks:
 MiroDC10 => The page may apply to the next product (MiroDC11 or what
   ever), we certainly don't want to maintain both pages and we don't
   want to rename the page (Cool URIs don't change[1])

 Zoran => Zoran produces lots of chipset

> 2. There are too many different cards based on zr36067:
> http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/driver-zoran/cards.php
> and each of them might have it's own issue.

Hopefully, the issues will be fixed soon.

> The main difficulty of my
> card were that this card is not properly auto-detected by kernel and
> module should be loaded with specific parameters. This is the first
> notice.

Do you think it would be possible to have a general trunk, then a
paragraph named "Miro DC-10 detection issue"?

>  And the second is that each card has different chips for
> different purposes (video output, etc) and some of them might even do
> not work on linux, though they are zr36067.

I don't know much about video card...
Would it be possible/sensible to move that part to another section, or
another page ? (so the instruction can be used for other products with
the same feature)?

For example, each page about WiFi drivers used to explain how to use
WEP/WPA... So we moved that part to another page (WiFi/HowToUse).

> So the page zr36067 would be really long and complex when all cards
> with all issues are listed there.

If the page becomes really long, it would be possible to have subpages
like "zr36067/CardDetectionIssues" or "zr36067/MiroDC10Issues" or
whatever

> So if these doubts is not important, I can create zr36067 page, write
> there about my miroVIDEO DC10, what I know about it, and as an option
> creat page "miroVIDEO DC10" with a redirect to zr36067.

The wiki search engine have greatly improved. we have reached a point
where the "search by title" feature could almost be removed.

Redirect page may seems nice, but they don't scale well: It is very
difficult to maintain such page (yes, redirect pages have to be
maintained too). Also, more pages leads to more false-positive results
[except in g**gle].

> > You can have a look a some existing pages, like
> >   http://wiki.debian.org/iwlagn
>
> Not really nice. It is overloaded with different instructions for
> different distrs, and has no brief information, that this device:
> works, use non-free driver.

Supporting multiple distro is the most difficult thing in our wiki.
Still we must support all ditros.

> But I do not know ho to do it better without much efforts :-/

We haven't found a perfect solution either :(

> > > Can you tell me where to add such article, I did not find the right
> > > place/category for it...
> >
> > You can link it from http://wiki.debian.org/Hardware
> Exactly from Hardware page, or from some of the category listed there?
> if from the category, please tell from what, because I can' gess to
> witch category it fit to.

I would hesitate to use GraphicsCard or create VideoCard / TvTunerCard.

I leave it up to you.

Thanks,

Franklin

[1] http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI