Re: Wiki and miroVIDEO DC10

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 22:18:19 +0200
Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> wrote:

> Try to write your page so it's "generic". If my quick search is
> correct, that card is supported by the module zr36067, which also
> supports a few other cards
> ( http://lxr.linux.no/linux/Documentation/video4linux/Zoran )
> I would suggest naming your page "zr36067".

I have two doubts:
1. As a common user, I would never search wiki by module name, just by
device brand name. For example the iwlagn page can't be found by "Intel
WiFi Link 5100", when searching in titles. And it is the thing user
would most likely do.

2. There are too many different cards based on zr36067:
http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/driver-zoran/cards.php
and each of them might have it's own issue. The main difficulty of my
card were that this card is not properly auto-detected by kernel and
module should be loaded with specific parameters. This is the first
notice. And the second is that each card has different chips for
different purposes (video output, etc) and some of them might even do
not work on linux, though they are zr36067.
So the page zr36067 would be really long and complex when all cards
with all issues are listed there.

So if these doubts is not important, I can create zr36067 page, write
there about my miroVIDEO DC10, what I know about it, and as an option
creat page "miroVIDEO DC10" with a redirect to zr36067.

> You can have a look a some existing pages, like
>   http://wiki.debian.org/iwlagn

Not really nice. It is overloaded with different instructions for
different distrs, and has no brief information, that this device:
works, use non-free driver. But I do not know ho to do it better
without much efforts :-/

> > Can you tell me where to add such article, I did not find the right
> > place/category for it...
>
> You can link it from http://wiki.debian.org/Hardware
Exactly from Hardware page, or from some of the category listed there?
if from the category, please tell from what, because I can' gess to
witch category it fit to.