Re: DebianWiki anti-spam (TextCha)

[switching from debian-private to debian-www]

Hi,

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 10:52 +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:

> On Donnerstag, 2. April 2009, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> > > After creating http://layer-acht.org/debian-edu/lenny-doc/
> > I don't understand the purpose of this page. "Debian Edu" is perfectly
> > ranked by google (i.e number 1 !).
>
> It's not about finding Debian-Edu but specific stuff inside the documentation.
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny is linked to in some
> places, but http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/* is only
> linked from there and thats where the content is. If NOFOLLOW is set, search
> engines wont find it.

How search engines discovers our wiki pages:
 The FrontPage has links (<a> or <link>) to the page TitleIndex and
 RecentChanges. Those pages links to every other pages of the wiki
 Also, Moinmoin provides a sitemap[1] (see example [2]).

I'll try to summarize how moinmoin uses NoFollow. All links inside the
wiki are follow'able, except:
 * Alternative pages format (raw, docbook, print view)
 * Actions (edit, search...)
Links leading outside the wiki are NOFOLLOW.

AFAIK, "<a rel='NOFOLLOW'..>" is implemented on most/every CMS, Wiki,
Blog... for public contributed links. That's the most effective way to
discourage spammers[3].

> > > http://wiki.debian.org/robots.txt exists already, too.
> > >
> > FYI, This robots file is useful when used with a new moinmoin feature,
> > that allow to write action URL as "/action/edit/PageName", rather than
> > PageName?action=edit. Since some spiders don't obey the later form.
>
> Great. Now let's extend it to make our content more accessable :-)

There is no such problem, AFAIK. Do you have evidence that some of our
wiki pages aren't properly referenced.

> Feel free to follow up to a public list, btw.

done.

Regards,

Franklin

[1] http://www.sitemaps.org/