Re: Options changed in check_trans.pl

Hi Hans!

You wrote:

> > Hmm, I think it's supposed to mail the person specified by the -m option
> > for the pages that have no maintainer, so I guess this is a bug then.
> > I'll try to fix it.
>
> The old behavior was that the e-mail specified with -m option was the
> address for the list for that language. I think your suggestion is
> better.

Indeed.  Upon looking again at the old check-tans.pl code, it seems that
I misinterpreted the meaning of the "-g" option.  It seems that, in the
old code, the meaning of "-g" was "use the email addressed specified by
-m instead of the addresses from the translator database".  In the new
code "-g" means "instead of sending the mails, print them to the
console".

I think I will change it lke this:
 (*) the "-m" option will not acceptany argument anymore, and will simply
     determine whether or not mails are generated.
 (*) add a new "-M <email>" option that allows you to to specify the email
     address where the emails should be sent;  this will override the
     translator database.
 (*) Keep the "-g" options as it is now: all mails are generated as
     specified by the other options, but instead of sending them, they
     will be dumped to the console.

> I can take most of the comments here since it's related to the above:
>
> 1) I want to run the script and only get e-mail about files I'm the
> maintainer for. (I don't want the cron job to send e-mail for pages
> that have no maintainer.) Maybe allow the -m with no argument?
>
> 2) Sometimes I also want an e-mail for all pages needing an update no
> matter if they are maintained or not, and I don't want the maintainers
> to get any e-mail. I guess -g will stop the maintainers from getting
> anything, but -m 'myaddress' will skip the maintained pages. Add
> option -mm?

These should be taken care of by the changes proposed above.

> 3) Don't require us to add the frequency unless an e-mail adress is
> given on the command line, since that info is in the translator db.

I think you misunderstand.  The "-n" option on the command line is
matched against the entries in the translator database.  You coudl set
up daily, weekly, and monthly cronjobs with -n1, -n2, and -n3, for
example.

> PS! One more: The Invocation instruction still has "[-c charset]".

Thansk!  Fixed.

Regards,
Bas.

| Bas Zoetekouw      | Sweet day, so cool, so calm, so bright, |
|--------------------| The bridall of the earth and skie:      |
| bas@zoetekouw.net  | The dew shall weep thy fall tonight;    |
+--------------------|                    For thou must die.   |