database open errors

When I try to open my synaptic, adept manager or other I get the following;

The APT Database could not be opened! This may be caused by incorrect APT configuration or some similar problem. Try running apt-setup and apt-get update in terminal and see if it helps to resolve the problem

I cannot find the "terminal" will you explain how I can find it in what package it may be in if I can even pull it up, also,
Will you let me know where the cure may be found--the guy that set up my system cannot be contacted.
mikyxmikyx@yahoo.ca