Re: Website Links on netinst broken

On Thursday 07 August 2008, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 08:00:37PM +0200, Jens Seidel wrote:
> > I checked for further errors and noticed that two release tags are no
> > longer used since etch. See the attached patch.
> >
> > Is it OK to apply it or will this be reused later again (for lenny,
> > ...)?
>
> Regarding <if-stable-release release="sarge"> blocks - those cleanups
> are best integrated during a time when the whole release changes, so
> that translators aren't unnecessarily bothered. Either that or remove
> it from everywhere so that translators don't notice the fodder.

Agreed. Or do the cleanup when there are other changes that need
translator attention anyway.

It's also a good idea to only delete such blocks after or at the same time
new pages for the "next" release that may need to again include them have
been created.
In most cases such blocks can be reused almost unchanged from one release
to the next and it's much more convenient to be able to look them up
in "current" pages than having to go through the CVS history.

In general pages dedicated to oldstable or older releases should no longer
contain any <if-stable-release ...> blocks.

Example: I have recently updated a few <if-stable-release ...> blocks for
the release pages while I was working on updates for etchnhalf. While
doing that I checked the corresponding pages for all releases from sarge
onwards.

When in doubt, please don't touch.

Cheers,
FJP