Re: two whitespaces after full stop are correct in english !!

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> Hello Simon,
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 10:09:33PM +0200, Simon Paillard wrote:
> > 21:50 < CIA-4> debian-www: kreutzm * webwml/english/News/weekly/2008/01/index.wml: Remove superflous whitespaces after full stop
>
> > 1/ Two whitespaces after full stop are correct in english !!
>
> That's new to me. For example in the Debconf templates, the agreement
> (on debian-l10n-english!) was for using only one space. And as long as
> I remember (but I might remember wrong) the standard was on one whitespace
> in the English version. But anyhow, this should be consistent, the current
> DPN uses both conventions (i.e. single and double spaces), I don't mind
> which one is used.

The standard for things which are using dynamically spaced fonts is a
single space.[1] In HTML (and LaTeX) it doesn't matter, though,
because multiple spaces collapse. Putting in two spaces is just a
waste of time, and changing it from one to two or two to one, doubly
so.

Don Armstrong

1: There's also no consensus that two spaces after a period is right
for monospaced fonts either: it's a matter of personal preference.
--
                    EQUAL RIGHTS FOR WOMEN
Don't be teased or humiliated. See their look of surprise when you