Re: Info on this site

On Fri, November 9, 2007 12:43, MJ Ray wrote:
> "Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:
>
>> Well, I think, if a debian server would have been compromised, this
>> should be appear at once on the webside. Also, when the main server is
>> down, everyone should be informed about the non-reachable server (like
>> at the moment). IMO , these informations belong to open source policy as
>> well, don't you think so ?
>
> As I understand it, the choice of which news appears on the front page
> is made by the press team and the security team.  I'm forwarding your
> question to them too.

Your (Hans's) mail seems to have the assumption that such news isn't put
on the home page, while in fact it is. See for example this overview of
older news items where you can see that a compromise is announced:
http://www.debian.org/News/2006/

I'm not sure what you mean with "the main server is down", but as far as
I'm aware there's nothing down that's relevant to end-users - only
developers. The mirror network seems to function just fine.

> I'm not sure whether the debian-infrastructure-announce launch means
> we should add another section to the front page containing its news - what
> do others on debian-www think?

News targeted purely at developers, e.g. d-d-a and d-i-a could maybe be
listed on www.debian.org/devel, but I see no added value of listing it on
the home page.

Thijs