Re: Switching from CVS to something else

Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 21.08.2007, 10:10 +0200 schrieb Martin Schulze:
> > Jens Seidel wrote:
> > > OK but let's not forget that SVN keeps a local copy of the checkouted
> > > files which allows diffs without internet connection. Also a commit is
> > > faster as only changes are transfered.
> >
> > ... and doubles disk usage...
>
>  This is also my main issue - given that a full checkout currently
> requires 304 megs.  I had to trim down my full checkout before and it
> wasn't really convenient, I would really hate to have to do that yet
> again. :/

Same here. :(

> > Not sure about partial checkouts for translators.
>
>  It would also double their size (plus a bit more, metafiles and stuff,
> but you have those with CVS too).

So it is possible to check out only english/ $nativelang/ and some global
Makefile and .wmlrc files, right?

>  What also comes into my mind, the translation-check code would require
> quite a lot of changes with almost all VCSes especially with respect to
> checks about by how many commits the file is outdated.  Might be easy
> with some, but given that I'm not familar too intensive with many VCSes
> with respect to extracting that specific informations it might get
> tricky (or not, no idea, just concern raising).

Hmm.  Maybe rebuild the cvs version in the file header manually?
Or compare absolute check-in dates?  Doh, that'd be complicated
and slow down building of the website even more.

Regards,

	Joey

--
WARNING: Do not execute!  This call violates patent DE10108564.
http://www.elug.de/projekte/patent-party/patente/DE10108564

wget -O patinfo-`date +"%Y%m%d"`.html http://patinfo.ffii.org/