Re: Switching from CVS to something else

Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> the web team is one the last few users of a CVS repository on
> cvs.debian.org. As you probably already know, most VCS repositories
> are nowadays hosted on alioth.debian.org.
> http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth

Hmm.  So webwml should be moved just for the sake of it and
because everybody else does?  Hmm?!?

> This gives you much more flexibility:
> - you can use any VCS of your choice (subversion is the most popular and the
>   simplest to switch to for CVS users)

Does it fix any problems we have with the current SCM?

> - you can have control on the members of your team without the need
>   to ask DSA to add or remove someone

Has this been a major problem in the past?

Doesn't the new RT help here?

> I know changing the VCS repository will require some work in the build and
> translation infrastructure, but I think we can do that smoothly
> nevertheless.

Is it worth the hassle?

> Alioth also supports CVS, so if you want to keep CVS, you can do that as
> well. But I encourage you to switch to something else and I can help you to
> convert the repository if needed.

Wouldn't it be better if the request to switch to anything else than
the current system came from core web masters and not from somebody
external?  Just pondering...

Regards,

	Joey

--
WARNING: Do not execute!  This call violates patent DE10108564.
http://www.elug.de/projekte/patent-party/patente/DE10108564

wget -O patinfo-`date +"%Y%m%d"`.html http://patinfo.ffii.org/